Re: oafd compatibility for GNOME 1 and GNOME 2?

Hi Maciej,

On Sat, 16 Jun 2001, Maciej Stachowiak wrote:
> Is it an important feature to be able to activate GNOME 1.x components
> with oaf from GNOME 2.x?
>
> I'm tryint to set up oaf2 to be able to parallel install with the
> GNOME 1.x oaf, and I'm wondering whether it's correct to rename oafd,
> and the location where .oaf files are found.

        I currently have issues with killing all my evolutions when I
oaf-slay, and monikers getting mixed between Gnome 2.0 and Gnome 1.4
causing extreme wierdness :-)

        So, I would suggest two things:

                * Have oafd2 renamed, so we can run both

                * possibly allow oafd2 to activate components for use in
                  the gnome 2.0 environment, that are wrapped / proxied
                  versions of gnome 1.4 components

        I think the 2nd is a separate issue, so yes - I think we need a
run-time parallel install, otherwise no component software will work well
from Gnome 1.4.

        Does that help / make sense ?