Re: GConf vs. bonobo-config

Martin Baulig wrote:

> Glynn Foster <glynn foster sun com> writes:
>
> > But this is something that was never discussed before.....What happens after gnome_config_*??
> > And this is as important as providing backward compatibility with gtk...Is there a similar
> > backward compatibility for bonobo-config [and I assume by the question that there is]??
>
> This is also quite funny. I do not remember that anyone cared about backwards compatibility when
> GConf was initially added to the GNOME 1.x platform. It seemed quite natural for me that we were
> switching to a new configuration scheme and that we can't read/write the old config with it.

Hum, I [unfortunately] wasn't around then :(
Why are we so anal about back compatibility when switching [for all good effect] toolkits and not
anal about configuration? I don't understand this...
Okay, so users care if their application works in the new environment...but will sure be completely
pissed if they have to re-enter all their mail/colours/launchers/etc.. config  - something they
have spent hours improving over the last X months...

> Exactly. Just for the record, did anyone care about this back in the GConf days ? I don't think so.

I understood that there was a gnome_config_* wrapper around Gconf [or some other back port mechanism
that would solve this]??...but maybe I'm wrong again :/

			See ya,
				Glynn ;)