Re: GConf vs. bonobo-config
- From: Havoc Pennington <hp redhat com>
- To: Dietmar Maurer <dietmar ximian com>
- Cc: Sander Vesik <Sander Vesik Sun COM>, Martin Baulig <martin home-of-linux org>, gnome-2-0-list gnome org, gconf-list gnome org, gnome-components-list gnome org
- Subject: Re: GConf vs. bonobo-config
- Date: 15 Jun 2001 18:44:14 -0400
Dietmar Maurer <dietmar ximian com> writes:
> Many. I have already made two announcements on the gnome lists. We also had an
> extensive discussion on the gconf list (half a year ago). Most people at Ximian
> are aware of the project, and I have even talked to peoples at Sun
The discussion on the GConf list was about a WRAPPER. This is a REIMPLEMENTATION.
> unified interface for property values,
Wrapper does this.
> code cleanup, code reuse,
Code reuse != reimplementation of existing code, code cleanup is
debatable (e.g. much of GConf code is really ugly due to error
handling which I can't find in your code anywhere - so that hardly
counts as a cleanup "gee I removed needed functionality, look code is
> CORBA interface,
> scriptable, CORBA_any, ...
Wrapper does all those.
> We can even provide fully compatible function.
Have you done that? No.
> > It sure does look like a whole big subsystem is just being sneaked in
> > through the back door.
> You missed some previous discussions.
I guess I missed them too - gee I'm the main person who's worked on
this issue. How did that happen.
] [Thread Prev