Re: GConf vs. bonobo-config

Sander Vesik wrote:

> Well, lets go back to some well know ground.
>
> Dietmar:
>         * to the best of your knowledge, how many people were aware of
>           'bonobo-config, the brand new configuration system for gnome'
>           before this thread?

Many. I have already made two announcements on the gnome lists. We also had an
extensive discussion on the gconf list (half a year ago). Most people at Ximian
are aware of the project, and I have even talked to peoples at Sun ;-)

>         * Why do we want it anyways?

unified interface for property values, code cleanup, code reuse, CORBA interface,
scriptable, CORBA_any, ...

> General questions:
>         * porting - how much additional porting will using bonbo-config
>           instead of gconf introduce?

We can even provide fully compatible function.

>         * more importantly - why would one go to the effort?

see above.

>         * how much overhead does it add?

none

>         * API freeze/code freeze/documenetation timeline?

no problem if we work together.

>         * what happens to interoperability in a scenario where not all
>           applications port to bonobo-config and bonbo-config is switched
>           to use some other backend?
>         * if the above won't happen then why?
>
> It sure does look like a whole big subsystem is just being sneaked in
> through the back door.

You missed some previous discussions.

- Dietmar