Re: bonobo-process

Hi,

On 07 Jun 2001 11:03:38 +0200, Dietmar Maurer wrote:
> Well, this stuff is for Gnome 1.4, so you can either:
>
>     - port it to Gnome2 and add it to bonobo-extra

This sounds like the better choice.

> I think bonobo_stream_client_read() needs a rewrite (looks a bit clumsy). And
> what if someone passes NULL for length_read?

I wonder if we should just drop stream-client for Gnome2.

> > The big question with the exec moniker is how to handle changing to
> > another user to execute a command, both for security, and handling
> > generic PAM authentication.
>
> Why do we need that?

Well, saying "exec:ls;user=root;passwd=fooo" is pretty useless on a
system with a PAM module that doesn't ask for a password, or prompts for
something else.

Maybe something simple like a conversation param:
"exec:ls;user=root;sequence=mypass:mysmartcardid:myrandomnumbergeneratorgadgetid"

Perhaps a better solution is to go further and prompt the user at the
command line, or if $DISPLAY is set, activate a "login" component that
would pop up a window. Or something.

> And cant we make it a shared library moniker?

Yes.

-Alex

--
 make: *** No rule to make target `sense'.  Stop.