Re: BonoboUI: Stock items?

Michael Meeks wrote:

> Murray,
>
> On 2 Jul 2001, Murray Cumming wrote:
> > Erm, this is far too important to just ask a lowly hacker such as me
> > to add it himself if he really wants it.
>
>         I'm asking you to do the work. And ultimately I don't have a lot
> of time, and there is a hard API freeze shortly. If you think something is
> important - you get to work on it.

Then punt it, but please don't ignore it. I know that things get
*implemented* based on who makes the effort, but *plans* should be based
on reasoning.

> > Also, if this XML thing is part of Bonobo (not just in the C sugar)
> > then it's defintely beyond me at the moment. I'm still learning this
> > stuff.
>
>         Well, it's simply a matter of reading the code carefuly, you'll
> learn plenty by doing it. You need to think about the layout, probably add
> a 'type="stock"' attribute to the command structure or somesuch.

Thanks for the tip. I'll take a look, but as I said I'm just at the
stage of writing my first Bonobo client code.

And honestly I wouldn't feel very comfortable designing and implementing
such a core piece of the API. The fact that it doesn't already exist,
despite all the core hackers working with Bonobo, suggests to me that I
have misunderstood something.

> > I appreciate that you're busy and that you probably feel pressured by
> > "does it do this?" questions, but it doesn't take much effort to put
> > it on a TODO list.
>
>         Yes, but it takes effort to get it done, my TODO list doesn't
> magicaly empty itself.

Putting it on a TODO list throws it open to more people. There's no need
to assume that every change suggestion is a demand for you to personally
do the work.

--
Murray Cumming
www.murrayc.com