Re: bonobo-conf questions

On 03 Jul 2001 21:12:54 +0200, Dietmar Maurer wrote:
> > - I've played with the example program that comes with bonobo-conf and
> > i've changed it slightly so it uses bonobo-conf itself to generate the
> > GUI. This GUI leaves a lot to be desired (ugly and unusable imo). I
> > heard that's it's possible to have the BonoboControl itself return a
> > GUI? Is this correct? If so, where do i need to look for this?
>
> Take a look at bonobo-conf/examples/evolution-calendar-config.c, this is
> the proposed way to generate nice dialogs.

I don't think you understand the question (or i didn't make myself
entirely clear).

Consider this: you have an application that relies on bonobo components
to display information (gnumeric, AbiWord, nautilus or gIDE). You don't
know anything specific about the actual component (it might just be a
component which supports a specific mime type).
Example: in gIDE you can use several different controls to display/edit
source code. You can either use the standard GTK+ text control or the
bonobo-enabled scintilla control (or any other bonobo enabled editor
component).

You also want the user to edit the settings/properties of the component
(show/hide line-numbers, font settings etc.). To access these properties
you can use bonobo-conf. You also need a GUI to present these properties
to the user. Here we have a problem: you can't create a custom gui since
you don't know which editor components might be used. You can however
use bonobo-conf to generate a GUI, but the default GUI is ugle &
unusable.

Now for my question: i heard that bonobo-conf can query a BonoboControl
for a GUI for the properties. Is this correct and if so, how is this
done? Can you point me to some documentation/source code?

Thanks,

Jeroen