Re: will the Bonobo Clipboard be accepted to be a part of the GNOME 2 API?

On 29 Jul 2001, Owen Taylor wrote:

> From: Owen Taylor <otaylor redhat com>
> Subject: Re: will the Bonobo Clipboard be accepted to be a part of the
>     GNOME 2 API?
>

> ERDI Gergo <cactus cactus rulez org> writes:
>
> > Hi,
> >
> > On 28 Jul 2001, Havoc Pennington wrote:
> >
> > > Can you point me at the bonobo clipboard proposal?
> >
> > http://mail.gnome.org/archives/gnome-components-list/2001-July/msg00237.html
> > http://mail.gnome.org/archives/gnome-components-list/2001-July/msg00314.html
> >
> > > I always thought that the way we'd do clipboard with bonobo was that
> > > you put a "moniker" data type on the X clipboard, which bonobo-aware
> > > apps would request.
> >
> > Why would we want to make this depend on X?
>
> Cut and paste is a desktop feature. I don't see a clipboard
> being interesting unless you have a desktop running...
> so I see no harm at all on depending on X. Maybe you mean
> "what if Bonobo was ported to windowing system Foo?".
> I think that's a cross-the-bridge-when-you-come-to-it
> question. Or, if you want to solve it right now, you need

GTK+ works on the framebuffer right now. Why design an API that's broken WRT
framebuffer apps now and fix it later? I'ld say, get it right the first
time.

> to go and actually study how the clipboard works on
> Windows and figure out how you would interoperate with
> it. It's very hard to design a cross-platform API by
> guessing how other platforms should work.

regards,

Chipzz AKA
Jan Van Buggenhout

                  UNIX isn't dead - It just smells funny