Re: localized oaf ...

Hi Darin,

On Thu, 19 Jul 2001, Darin Adler wrote:
> I'm not sure. I was trying to guess the reason the language list was
> passed in, not explain a design that I had come up with myself, so
> it's quite possible I'm wrong about the reason it's there.

	I've no idea what the language list is for. In the only use case
I've seen for the API - it's not very useful :-)

> If there's a way to get the results we desire without having to pass
> the language list around, that would be even better than what we have
> in gnome 1's oaf. Perhaps there was some desire to not code into oaf
> the rules about which environment variable determines the language. I
> guess we have to wait to hear from Maciej or perhaps Elliot.

	I would re-engineer it so a single language list was cached inside
oaf, and if the API user passed in NULL for the language list this default
internal list would be used. This would have the benefits of simplicity,
clealiness, hiding of complexity, backwards compatibility etc.

> Can you think of any advantages to the current scheme, Michael?

	Not really. But we need to get the routine that messes with LC_XYZ
right - and I agree, it would be best to hope this gets into glib.