Re: localized oaf ...

On Wednesday, July 18, 2001, at 05:27  PM, Michael Meeks wrote:

On Wed, 18 Jul 2001, Darin Adler wrote:
	Almost certainly not - but it's probably the best place for it
right now - either that - or we simply cache the locale inside liboaf at
the time the first localized prop get is called - people who manipulate
LC_LANG in mid-program have it coming anyway [ arguably ].

I think the parameter is there not for people who want to change
LC_LANG but rather for other situations like programs that might be
getting strings for display on behalf of another user, perhaps one on
another computer.

	This seems somewhat unusual and unlikely, and either way would
probably be best served by passing the OAF_ServerInfo across to them and
getting them to call the get_localized_prop method themselfs.

I'm not sure. I was trying to guess the reason the language list was passed in, not explain a design that I had come up with myself, so it's quite possible I'm wrong about the reason it's there.

If there's a way to get the results we desire without having to pass the language list around, that would be even better than what we have in gnome 1's oaf. Perhaps there was some desire to not code into oaf the rules about which environment variable determines the language. I guess we have to wait to hear from Maciej or perhaps Elliot.

Can you think of any advantages to the current scheme, Michael?

    -- Darin