Re: localized oaf ...

On Wed, 2001-07-18 at 19:56:07, Michael Meeks wrote:

> (...)
>         Ah yes, I see it now in
> libnautilus-private/nautilus-view-identifier.c.
>
>         It would be good if we could split out the 'get_lang_list' method
> that makes oaf_server_info_prop_lookup useful - into liboaf since this
> routine looks like an extremely bad one to cut and paste around the place
> - due to the complexity of the task it tackles.
>
>         Any chance of having that in oaf ? for now I'll cut & paste...

Why don't you use gnome_i18n_get_language_list from gnome-libs?

get_lang_list doesn't work properly if you:
 - set only LC_ALL and/or LC_MESSAGES and not LANG/LANGUAGE
   (very common setting)
 - set LANGUAGE to something like LANG="pl_PL:de:en"
 - set LANGUAGE to "pl_PL.ISO-8859-2"
   (GDM is doing this, AFAIR)

Also, a list returned by get_lang_list has invalid order. With LANG set to
"pl_PL" it returns ("pl", "pl_PL") while "pl_PL" should be first (it's more
specific).

Take a look at e_xml_get_child_by_name_by_lang_list function from GAL
(gal/util/e-xml-utils.c) - it uses gnome_i18n_get_language_list to get the
best translation from XML file.

BTW, Maciej, don't you use Polish locale? ;-)

Zbigniew