Re: Bonobo UI stuff

On Mon, 9 Jul 2001, Sander Vesik wrote:
> Well, if we went with URIs there would be no 'local' distinction - you
> would just have pointers to things.

        No. You would have an ugly mess of transports, security and
authentication might be implemented for one transport, but
non-transferable to another, when you proxy information forward ( via.
CORBA ) you will not neccessarily be able to proxy a 'URL' etc. etc. it's
a terrible plan to mix URLs with CORBA at this level.

        We already have a location transparent, standard transport -
CORBA, lets use it. Martin's idea of the BonoboImageFactory is a correct
solution - although in fact a simple stream interface might suffice IMHO.

> > Actually, I'm wondering whether it'd make sense to have some
> > BonoboImageFactory object and store reference to that factory +
> > image name in the XML.
>
> One "issue" here is that it might be nice to have it use gnome-vfs, so
> that if we do at some point add the webdav capability we won't be
> directly pulling in neon but it would be done by gnome-vfs so all
> gnome apps would get webdav access easily...

        I don't understand you. But consider that gnome-vfs has no
libbonobo dependency - so you can't put a CORBA image factory / handling
stuff in there. Secondly it seems somewhat ludicrous to me to put image
handling inside a file access abstraction.

        In conclusion, the idea of sending URL's via the CORBA wire is
evil.  Having them in the XML is do-able, but only really if they are
converted on the client side to a stream / coded representation. Martin's
ImageFactory is acceptable, and the current scheme has the merit of
actualy working, and is possible to make it more efficient with no real
effort right now. I'd like to see the code to implement the dereferenced
<image> pool before any mad-cap schemes materialize.

	As for all gnome apps getting webdav access easily, that's what
gnome-vfs currently gives you - mangling the UI handler doesn't add
anything here.