Toughts about moniker extensibility

Hi,

I think the current concept behind the Moniker implementations have some
limitations: all the monikers are on their own. What I'm saying is, right
now, we have for example the following possibilites to resolve something:
	filename -> stream (file, stream-extender)
	filename -> *      (file-extender)
	filename -> stream -> * (stream-extender)
	http     -> stream  (http)

Yet you can't do http -> *, which should be possible with http->stream->*
if the stream-extender worked as a general converter.
I think a more efficient scheme would be to use the monikers as
converters, so you'd have
	filename -> *
	filename -> stream
	filename -> storage
	http     -> stream
	stream   -> *
	storage  -> *

Thus, all the http moniker would do is to create a stream from the moniker
and pass it to the next generic converter. A `master' moniker would find
`paths' inside this converter `map' to get from A to B and use the
`converters' on this path.

Does that make any sense? I'd like to spark a discussion about it.

On a related note, do wildcards in bonobo:supported_mime_type work?
Looking at file-extender, they don't (unless OAF does some magic
internally). Should they? (I think it would be only a matter of extending
the query with ("OR bonobo:supported_mime_types.has(%s/*)", mime_major).

--
   .--= ULLA! =----------------------------.  finger cactus cactus rulez org
   \      http://cactus.rulez.org           \   for PGP public key