Re: Keeping a factory around

On Mon, 15 Jan 2001, ERDI Gergo wrote:

> Most factory processes exit after the last instance of the created objects
> is destroyed. Is there a way to ``ref the factory''? I'm thinking about
> such use cases of Bonobo-Media as the preview of music files in Nautilus:
> this would load and unload the factory everytime a new preview is
> requested (i.e. every time the user rests the pointer above a music
> file's icon), which could cause a longer delay before the playback can
> start.

I remember discussing it with Maciej - basically it would involve oafd
ref()ing the factory and then unref()ing it after an activity timeout.
This will require interface changes and will really have to be done in oaf
HEAD for GNOME 2.0.

Another solution that works now is just to create the new object before
destroying the old one.
-- Elliot
Who me? I just wander from room to room.