Re: Public visibility and component repository

Hi Owen,

On Fri, 23 Feb 2001, Owen Fraser-Green wrote:
> I feel there are two reasons for this, firstly because there seems to
> be a lack of understanding of what Bonobo actually is and what benefit
> it can bring in terms of simplifying applications and paving the way
> for component reuse in future projects.

        There are several reasons for what you see as under use of bonobo.

        * Bonobo has only just been frozen. For a long time people who
have depended on it have got broken regularly and suffered lots of pain.

        * Bonobo has only recently got documentation that people can read
- the work in progress can be seen at:

        http://primates.ximian.com/~michael/bonobo-docs.tar.gz  or
        http://primates.ximian.com/~michael/bonobo-docs/book1.html

        Hopefuly good documentation - and there is plenty still to do
there - will encourage people to use Bonobo more abundantly.

        * Bonobo was initialy extremely difficult to use, many of the
usability problems have been addressed and it is now far easier - there is
still a perception barrier to climb over though.

> Additionally I've been wondering if it would be appropriate to add a
> Bonobo component channel to the Ximian Red Carpet updater application
> to provide a component repository.

        The software we endorse is a matter for the Ximian to deal with,
however, it is important to use and ship components of an acceptable
quality. Currently there are not a vast number of components. I anticpate
that when more, stable components are shipped by distributors, more people
will use them and finding them will be as simple as running:

        oaf-run-query "repo_ids.has ('IDL:Bonobo/Unknown:1.0')"

        HTH,