Public visibility and component repository

Hi,

I'm new to this list and in fact to GNOME development as a whole but I've
been drawn here because of a feeling that what Bonobo represents is
the "right" way to unify the architecture of the GIMP components and
introduce some genuine object reuse. I've spent much of today looking
through the GNOME CVS tree especially at those projects which I had
expected to make extensive use of bonobo components such as multimedia
applications. I was both dissappointed at the lack of use of Bonobo
components as well as frustrated at the amount of code duplication that
exists between so many of the GNOME projects. The latter seems symptomatic
of the common open source mentality of "Foo almost does what I want except
I don't like the placement of the buttons so I'll write a new one from
scratch".

I feel there are two reasons for this, firstly because there seems to be a
lack of understanding of what Bonobo actually is and what benefit it can
bring in terms of simplifying applications and paving the way for component
reuse in future projects.

Secondly, it seems as though in order to find out if there is a bonobo
component which already does what I want I have to route the CVS tree for
possible Bonobo user candidates to see if they have what I want, and either
rip out the component or use their entire application as dependancy to my
application.

As I said before I'm completely new to this arena and maybe someone can
point me in the direction of Bonobo's answer to Perl's CPAN. Also I
understand that Bonobo is still a moving target and may form an unsuitable
base for other moving targets but I can't help but feel that the Bonobo
project could benefit from openening itself up a bit more to the public
with a web site advocating the use Bonobo and providing developers
resources for integrating existing Bonobo components into their projects as
well as develop new components. Additionally I've been wondering if it
would be appropriate to add a Bonobo component channel to the Ximian Red
Carpet updater application to provide a component repository.

If the subscribers to this list feel this is a good idea to form a web site
and maintain a repository then I would be glad to contribute in any way I
can.

Regards,
Owen

     Owen  Fraser-Green             "Hard work never killed anyone,
     owen discobabe net              but why give it a chance?"