Re: OAF annoyance

Federico Mena Quintero <federico ximian com> writes:

> Maybe I have posted this before, so if I have, please tell me that I
> am too jetlagged still.
>
> Normally oafd gets launched from a random terminal by
> EOG/Evolution/whatever.  So subsequent processes launched by oafd
> itself output their spew to the terminal from which oafd was launched.
>
> It is annoying to get spewage to random terminals.  Could we do some
> fd passing magic to make, say, all the Evolution components output
> their stuff to the terminal from which you ran "evolution"?

Components should not count on having a terminal available to spew on
at all.

Also, spew to the terminal of the process that first launched a
component does not seem right to me - say Nautilus launches the EOG
component, then Evolution instantiates an eog component, then Nautilus
drops the one it was using. Does it still make sense for output to go
to nautilus's terminal?

That being said, I would consider taking a clean patch to do this,
even though the right solution is for components to spew to a log file
of some sort.

 - Maciej