Re: The removed bonobo_*_get_epv() and the changed bonobo_*_construct() (was Re: GNOME CVS: bonobo michael)

Michael Meeks <michael ximian com> writes:

> On 6 Feb 2001, Martin Baulig wrote:
> > I'm a bit confused here.
>
>         I'm sorry to hear that, let me explain:
>
> > This change does not only break the freeze,
>
>         The only application I am really interested in supporting is
> Nautilus, and none of these changes impact bin or source compat of
> Nautilus. Any Gnome 1.4 freeze is purely for Nautilus and Eazel, it is not
> for Eog :-)

Hi Michael,

of course I don't mind such changes in Bonobo, EOG isn't that complex that
this won't be fixable within a few hours.

>         I hope to have a frozen version of Bonobo for Gnome 1.4 out by
> this evening with this change pushed as far across bonobo as bin compat
> for Nautilus will allow me to go - this will allow me to move everything
> except:
>
>         bonobo_stream_get_type
>         bonobo_zoomable_get_type
>         bonobo_object_get_type
>
>         to the new scheme, since they inherit from these internaly.
>
>         Everything possible will move to BonoboXObject - similar to what
> was aired for comment on the bonobo list several days ago.
>
> > it also makes it impossible to create your own corba object which is a
> > subclass of Bonobo::Control.
>
>         Not the case. You need to see how it is done in eg. bonobo-view.c
> which inherits from bonobo-control.c in this way - it is now extremely
> simple, you should find yourself removing lots of ugly complex CORBA code.

Woah! That sounds great, dude !

I already fixed EOG yesterday and all I did was really just removing a lot of
ugly CORBA code. I was just concerned that we won't be able to subclass the
Bonobo::Control corba object anymore, but if this isn't the case, this is
really excellent news since it simplifies things a lot.

> > Why was this done, btw. ?
>
>         BonoboXObject is more elegant, simple, efficient etc. etc. and
> significantly lowers the barrier for CORBA hacking over Gtk+
> hacking. Miguel and I believe it is very important in making Bonobo
> usable, this is why it has got in so late in the day.

I should really have a look at this stuff :-)

--
Martin Baulig
martin gnome org (private)