Re: The removed bonobo_*_get_epv() and the changed bonobo_*_construct() (was Re: GNOME CVS: bonobo michael)

Hi Martin,

On 6 Feb 2001, Martin Baulig wrote:
> I'm a bit confused here.

        I'm sorry to hear that, let me explain:

> This change does not only break the freeze,

        The only application I am really interested in supporting is
Nautilus, and none of these changes impact bin or source compat of
Nautilus. Any Gnome 1.4 freeze is purely for Nautilus and Eazel, it is not
for Eog :-)

        I hope to have a frozen version of Bonobo for Gnome 1.4 out by
this evening with this change pushed as far across bonobo as bin compat
for Nautilus will allow me to go - this will allow me to move everything
except:

        bonobo_stream_get_type
        bonobo_zoomable_get_type
        bonobo_object_get_type

        to the new scheme, since they inherit from these internaly.

        Everything possible will move to BonoboXObject - similar to what
was aired for comment on the bonobo list several days ago.

> it also makes it impossible to create your own corba object which is a
> subclass of Bonobo::Control.

        Not the case. You need to see how it is done in eg. bonobo-view.c
which inherits from bonobo-control.c in this way - it is now extremely
simple, you should find yourself removing lots of ugly complex CORBA code.

> Why was this done, btw. ?

        BonoboXObject is more elegant, simple, efficient etc. etc. and
significantly lowers the barrier for CORBA hacking over Gtk+
hacking. Miguel and I believe it is very important in making Bonobo
usable, this is why it has got in so late in the day.

        Anyhow apologies for the breakage, I hope as you fix it you see
how nice the new stuff is.