Re: menu keyboard shortcut customization broken in Bonobo?

Hi John,

On Mon, 5 Feb 2001, John Sullivan wrote:
> GNOME (or is it GTK?) has a user-editable menu shortcuts scheme
> whereby the user pops up a menu, prelights an item, then types a
> keyboard equivalent (including modifier key). This keyboard equivalent
> is then stored in some wacky place and displayed/used in the future
> for this menu in this application.

	Yes; this is the case, it was added after much deliberation since
there was war in the gimp world over what shortcuts should be used for
what.

> Some user reported that this didn't work with Nautilus, and sure
> enough, it doesn't. I remember that it worked originally, so I
> strongly suspect it stopped working when we switched to using the new
> Bonobo UI stuff. Michael, can you confirm or deny whether this
> mechanism is supported by Bonobo?

	I can confirm that this mechanism is not supported by Bonobo. This
is a concious decision for several reasons, some of them ergonomic, some
of them based on the neccessity of dealing sensibly with keybindings
across a plurality of merged components, some of them in horror at how gtk
does keybindings. I think the best solution to the problem is to ensure
that the default keybindings are sensible, and to wait for the pretty GUI
bonobo keybinding editor which is in the 2 year plan.

	Does that help ?