Re: Bonobo Clipboard 0.1 "Hey! It compiles!"

On 27 Aug 2001, Havoc Pennington wrote:

> We must _seamlessly_ and _automatically_ work with X in _both
> directions_ _without race conditions_ and _ICCCM compliant_, as a
> non-negotiable design requirement, IMHO. I would strongly oppose use
> of any API in GNOME that didn't do this.

OK, so let me explain what's currently implemented.
Let's say you have a component that supports the PersistStream interface
and the "text/plain" and "text/html" MIME types. If you put this on the
Bonobo clipboard, the available X clipboard formats will be "STRING" (an
alias for "text/plain"), "TEXT" (likewise), "text/plain", and "text/html".
Requesting the clipboard in any of these formats will resolve the
clipboard contents moniker for PersistStream and will save its state in
the desired format into a temproary buffer, and then copy this buffer to
the selection returned.

Granted, the current implementation has serious theoretical performance
issues (mostly a very large number of clipboard-to-component round trips,
but I already have ideas on solving this). But I'd really like to hear
your (or anyone else's) ideas on how more seamless the support for plain-X
clients should be. If you don't voice your requirements, I have no way of
implementing them.

--
   .--= ULLA! =---------------------.   `We are not here to give users what
   \     http://cactus.rulez.org     \   they want'  -- RMS, at GUADEC 2001