Bonobo compilation problems

Hello, list!

In an effort to get Evolution working on my box, I've been
busily upgrading the thousands of packages it requires that have
become out-of-date on my system.  (I exaggerate just a bit.)  The
packages I've installed today are:

  gnome-libs 1.2.13
  berkeley db 3.1.17
  ORBit 0.5.8
  oaf 0.6.5
  gdk-pixbuf 0.11.0
  gnome-print 0.25

And finally I'm attempting to compile and install bonobo 1.0.7.
My system, by the way, is a P3 450Mhz running Linux 2.4.5-ac6
(a bit out of date, I know), and gcc version 2.95.2.  I've installed
Gnome so long ago I honestly don't remember any of the other
version numbers for the various Gnome components; sorry!

./configure goes through just fine, but when I get to the compilation
of the Monikers, I get the following:

> ../bonobo/.libs/libbonobo.so: undefined reference to `LName_insert_component'
> ../bonobo/.libs/libbonobo.so: undefined reference to `LNameComponent_set_kind'
> ../bonobo/.libs/libbonobo.so: undefined reference to `LName_to_idl_form'
> ../bonobo/.libs/libbonobo.so: undefined reference to `CosNaming_NamingContext_unbind'
> ../bonobo/.libs/libbonobo.so: undefined reference to `LName_destroy'
[snip!]

And so on.  I did an "nm" on the libbonobo.so, and indeed, the symbols
are unreferenced.  I did some poking aroud, though, and found out that
all of the symbols it lists are quite well defined in my
/usr/lib/libORBitCosNaming.so

I've made sure that "ldconfig" has been run before doing the compile,
and if I try the line that fails manually, and add in "-lORBitCosNaming"
to the end, it goes through just fine.  So really I've got two
questions:

  1) Where in the Makefile can I add the "-lORBitCosNaming" flag so
     that it gets picked up during "make"?  I've tried it everywhere
     it makes sense, but without luck.
  2) More to the point, why is this happening to begin with?  Shouldn't
     libbonobo.so have been linked properly against libORBitCosNaming.so
     in such a way that the symbols are referenced correctly?

Thanks much in advance for any help you can give!  If you do reply
to this, please cc my email address as well, for I'm subscribed via
digest mode so it's more difficult to follow.

Thanks again, and apologies for the long post!

-CJ

PS: Oh, if it'll help, here's the compile line that's puking
(wrapped so it's easier on your terminal):

> gcc -g -O2 -Wall -Wunused -o .libs/bonobo-moniker-http
> bonobo-moniker-http.o -rdynamic  ../bonobo/.libs/libbonobo.so
> ../bonobo/.libs/libbonobox.so -L/usr/lib -L/usr/X11R6/lib
> /usr/lib/liboaf.so -L/usr/local/lib /usr/lib/libORBit.so
> /usr/lib/libIIOP.so /usr/lib/libORBitutil.so -lnsl -lm -ldl
> /usr/lib/libpopt.so /usr/lib/libgnomeprint.so
> /usr/lib/libgnomeui.so -lm -lm -ldl -ldl -lXi -lXext -lX11 -lm
> -ldl -lXi -lXext -lX11 -lm -lm /usr/lib/libart_lgpl.so
> /usr/lib/libgdk_imlib.so -ldl -lSM -lICE /usr/lib/libgnome.so
> -lm -ldl -lm /usr/lib/libgnomesupport.so -lm /usr/lib/libesd.so
> -lm -lm /usr/lib/libaudiofile.so -lm -ldb
> /usr/lib/libgdk_pixbuf.so -ldl -ldl -lXi -lXext -lX11 -lm
> /usr/lib/libgtk.so -ldl -lXi -lXext -lX11 -lm /usr/lib/libgdk.so
> -ldl -lXi -lXext -lX11 -lm /usr/lib/libgmodule.so -ldl
> /usr/lib/libglib.so -ldl -lXi -lXext -lX11 -lm /usr/lib/libxml.so -lz

WOW: Rapacious           | A priest advised Voltaire on his death bed to
apocalyptech.com/wow     |  renounce the devil.  Replied Voltaire, "This
pez apocalyptech com     |              is no time to make new enemies."