Re: ORBit-generated files (was Re: ANNOUNCE: Bonobo 1.0.0 released ...)

On Fri, 13 Apr 2001, Darin Adler wrote:

> It also seems to me that the rules to run orbit-idl should list orbit-idl
> itself as a dependency, so that it will automatically re-generate the stubs,
> skels, and headers when ORBit changes are made.
>
> Is there a good reason not to update the Makefile.am files in Bonobo, and
> elsewhere in GNOME, to work this way?

Can it be done without causing problems?
	1. hard to know the right location of orbit-idl to use as a dep -
	it is only assumed to be on $PATH.
	2. orbit-idl timestamp may change without any real changes to
	the output it produces.

Does make allow dependency comparisons on anything other than timestamps?

-- Elliot
The truth knocks on my door, and I say
"Go away. I'm looking for the truth"
...and so it goes away.