Re: Gnome 1.4 oaf fixage suggestion.

On Sat, 7 Apr 2001, Michael Meeks wrote:

> 	The simple solution I was anticipating to the 'hundreds of
> oafd' processes problem is to add relatively simple 'ping'
> functionality into oafd - ie. with no interface changes.

FWIW, I think people are confusing two completely different issues here...

1. There had been a bug where multiple oafd's would start up. Maciej
probably squashed it by now, but if it still exists, it is just an
implementation problem that needs many eyeballs.

2. The thing with object server processes not going away when idle is a
different thing, caused by the lack of refcounting on factory objects.
Once refcounting on factories is added, the rest is an implementation
detail inside oafd (I don't see your suggested implementation being
practical, but it is in the right direction.)

-- Elliot
The truth knocks on my door, and I say
"Go away. I'm looking for the truth"
...and so it goes away.