Re: Serious Bonobo Problem for Sun

>From: Joel Becker <jlbec evilplan org>
>To: Colm Smyth <Colm Smyth sun com>
>Cc: sandmann daimi au dk, darin eazel com, michael ximian com, mjs eazel com,
miguel ximian com, brian cameron ireland sun com,
gnome-components-list gnome org, Brian Cameron sun com
>Subject: Re: Serious Bonobo Problem for Sun
>
>On Thu, Apr 05, 2001 at 03:56:34PM +0100, Colm Smyth wrote:
>> If the server has multiple clients, then there are multiple time-to-die
>> values to track, one for each client. This assumes we want to support
>> Bonobo reference-counting; if we dropped ref-counting in favour of
>> a pure lease system, then the server would simpy track a single
>> time-to-die value (which would be the longest time-to-die offered
>> by any client requesting a lease on an object).
>
>	A "longest lease" value is surely easier to implement, but it
>could possibly be wasteful of resources.  If a server is serving
>multiple clients, it may have allocated resources to each client.  If
>there are 30 clients, and 20 die (remote host crashes), then you 30x
>resources used for 10x needed.  This can add up, if those remaining 10
>clients hang around for a while.  If you do refcounting, then when each
>of those 20 clients run out of lease, the server can free their
>resources, and proceed as if only serving 10 clients.

True, provided the server is tracking allocated resources per-client.
If this hasn't been implemented, a lease is simpler and more reliable.
The lease mechanism does not just have to work for an entire object
server; if a server has several objects active, each of which may
be serving one or more clients, then a lease may be maintained for
each object. When the lease expires, the object is destroyed along
with it's resources. If all objects in the server are gone, the
server may self-terminate, possibly with a grace period to hang
around.

Colm.