RE: Spell checking component for GNOME

> I've one question / feature request: the spec allows for multiple
> (spellcheck) servers, but doesn't specify how to select them. A feature

This is done by the user when the select a service from a menu item.
For example, an encryption server might supply menu items that say:

Encrypt
Sign and Encrypt

The "service number" to use is a parameter in the request that initiates
the transaction and corresponds to the menu item the user selected.

If the first menu item is selected, then service number 0 is specified
in the "Batch Process My Text" request.  If the second menu item is
selected, then service number 1 is specified.

The meaning of the services is not supplied to the client application
except as a human-readable text string.

The way you handle multiple languages in a document is that the user
highlights a range of text that is in say, German, then selects "Check
Spelling" as it would be expressed in German.  Then the German
spellchecker processes it.  Then if they select a range of English text
and select Check Spelling in English, the English spellchecker processes
it.

It is required that clients ask only for the selection to be processed
if the user has highlighted a selection.  Otherwise the entire block of
text that contains the active insertion point is processed.

Michael D. Crawford
http://www.goingware.com
crawford goingware com