RE: equation editors and TeX (long) (was "Equation Editor")

Hi Martin,

On Wed, 6 Sep 2000, Martin Sevior wrote:
> in Italy to display advanced Math using MathML 2.0. They even have a gtk
> widget to do it. We can steal any or all of this code as it is all GPL or
> freer. In short I am extremely comfortable with MathML as our internal
> representation of Maths in Abiword.

	Dear oh dear. Either you use Bonobo to handle your component
needs, including Equation editing or you do not.

If you do:

	* You _cannot_ mandate an output format such as MathML, there must
be a generic mechanism to allow a component to serialize itself.

If you don't:

	* Please take the totaly off topic argument you are having ( with
an expert ) about what representation is best elsewhere.

	Please, please get back to the plot which is deciding how best to
provide interfaces that allow quality type setting extensions including
equations.

	Clearly MathML is not sufficient for all the needs of a Equation
editing component. It is quite possible however via the persistStream
interface to request that it serializes itself to MathML [ or whatever ]
if it supports that format. [ this was pointed out a lot of messages back
in the thread ].

	Can we stop wasting Paul's time and await his suggested idl with
bated breath.