Re: review of the Storage interface

Ok, please let me first explain the obvious changes (I will explain the
content_type
for storages later)

* use long long for indexing into files

files can be larger than 4GB - only to be save!

*  added more exceptions

I compared the currently define exception with the error messages from
gnome-vfs.

*   new revert method

If we support transaction, we need commit and revert! MS also supports that!

* added locking interface

as far as I know microsoft supports locking, and record locking (see Inside
ole)

* removed copy_to from stream

I simply donīt understand why we need that - maybe we need it - but what for?

*  removed eos, length and list_contents method

all of that can be done with the new get_info method, wich is more general.

Michael Meeks wrote:

> Hi Dietmar,
>
> On Sat, 2 Sep 2000, Dietmar Maurer wrote:
> > I suggest the following changes for the Storage interface:
>
>         I am extremely concerned that your suggestions are extensive and I
> do not understand why many of them are neccessary. What application do you
> have in mind for eg. locking, content types on storages etc. etc. Why are
> these neccessary to your mind ? MS manage to cope without this
> functionality and the interface is currently nice and thin. It would be
> good if you could try and rationalize each one on the list carefuly before
> writing any code.

I do not write any code - that are only my (formalized) thoughts ;-)

Iīm not a microsoft programmer, so I donīt know if the bock inside-ole
is correct? But all my suggested features are originated after reading
inside-ole.

>         I would be open to putting more information in the
> 'directory_list' method; I think a new API that takes an integer is a bad
> idea.

Yes, you are right. But we have to put more information into the method.
At least if the name is a directory or not, and maybe the size and
content_type. Take a look at the microsoft interface - i would prefer that.

Regards,

    Dietmar