Re: Embedding components in under 100 lines (Was Re: Embeddinggnumeric...)

>    So, what it boils down to is that I'm trying to teach myself the entire
> method of interactive application design by reading this book, reading a
> lot of source code, and any online tutorials and documentation that I can
> track down.  Things that are simple to someone who's been doing this sort
> of programming for a while are not simple to me.  You mention "activation"
> and "UIHandlers" in passing as something that is simple to add, but I
> don't have your background and am not even really sure where to start.

Sorry.
A UIHandler is the thing that allows toolbars and menus to be embedded as
well.
And activation is what happens when you double click the component.
You basically connect to the "activate" signal of the component and call a
function
(can't remember which) that allows the component to be editted. (I probably
should
have made the component always editable in my example as it is the only
component
that is in the program)

> Can you suggest any books, online tutorials, or other documentation that
> would be a good place to start trying to figure this stuff out?  I'm sure
> there are other newbies out here who could use the information just as
> much as I.

There's the GTK+ tutorial which explains signals and callbacks quite well.
The only real bonobo example code is the code that's in bonobo/samples
and bonobo/components. For a component example the text one (text-plain)
is possibly the best documented. I don't really think there's a Step 1..Step
2..Step 3..
type tutorial yet.

iain