Re: a small summary.

Hi Dietmar,

On Tue, 24 Oct 2000, Dietmar Maurer wrote:
> Everything has a price - so the question is if it is better to be
> compatible or to to have a better solution from the technical view.
> IMHO merging the projects means merging the best of both projects, as
> opposed to extract the best of GNOME and merge it into OpenOffice.

        Precicely, and that is what we are doing, picking the best from
both worlds, Luckily so far there is not a vast amount of overlap so the
controversy is limited :-). As for the API rename not being technicaly the
best solution. I think forcing another project to create thousands of
lines of redundant, slow API wrapper is a waste of time which is partly
why we are going ahead.

        Secondly, I have spent a good chunk of my life writing import
filters for the industry standard office suite ( a Data API if you like ).
Neither I or my users seem to view this as wasted time :-)