Re: The storage interface cleanup - incredible

Michael Meeks <michael helixcode com> writes:

> Hi,
>
> On Mon, 23 Oct 2000, Dietmar Maurer wrote:
> > Maciej Stachowiak wrote:
> > > It sounds like Michael and Miguel are going to approve your patch
> > > either way.
> >
> > I think this is totally unrelated to my current patch. The current
> > patch fixes some serious design problems, which I consider as release
> > critical.
>
>         I agree with Dietmar completely. Splitting the stream interface is
> an unneccesary complication at this stage, it will impact the
> PersistStream interface as well causing API and compatibility breakage,
> not least in Nautilus.

I certainly do not think you should split the Stream interface right
now. I do think you should split it in the future, post GNOME 1.4. I
am glad you agree with me on this.

> Maciej, I'm suprised you are trying to encourage us to make curious
> decisions that impact the Bonobo release schedule and break the
> freeze.

This is either a deep misunderstanding or a willful misrepresentation
of what I said.

> Or is it that you are trying to obstruct any change going ahead ?

Look; Dietmar claimed that spllitting the Stream interface could be
made to have no compatibility impact at the source/binary/IDL level,
and I pointed out that this was simply false. Or, in brief, it is
likely that the Stream interface will break for the GNOME 2.0
platform.

I was very careful _not_ to comment on the merits or advisability of
Dietmar's changes while clarifying this technical point, or to even
argue the relevance of this technical point (Dietmar is the one who
tried to dispute it in the first place; perhaps he feels it is somehow
relevant).

If stating plain facts is obstructionist clearly I should unsub and go
home.

> I'm confused.

That is possible. I hope my clarifications above are helpful in this
regard.

 - Maciej