Re: The nature of the Bonobo freeze.

Mathieu Lacage <mathieu eazel com> writes:

> - This was true one year ago when you were having fun hacking on bonobo.
> This is not true anymore. There is now money at stake both in your own
> company and Eazel. And as far as I can tell, this is not small money
> (I am not a business weenie so I cannot tell how much but I know the
> figures are in tens of millions of dollars which is _a lot_)
> Release schedule has thus some importance now. Also, I would like to
> point out that delaying both nautilus and gnome 1.4 does no good to
> gnome either.

I think this is excessive. While there are corporations with an
interest in GNOME now, their interests must not be allowed to
completely override the rest of the project. While there are corporate
interests involved, I think the main issue is the tradeoff between
shipping GNOME 1.4, and consequently improving the environment
available to users, and between improving Bonobo more before the first
official release, API-wise and in other ways. I was under the
impression that there were certain promises in this regard but Miguel
seems to remember them differently than the other parties to the
negotiation, so I am going to step back and let them sort it out.

> - It is obvious that major architectural changes will be needed for
> gnome 2.0. As far as I can remember, bonobo was to be part of the 1.4
> platform so that gnumeric/nautilus/evoltuion could use a stable released
> version but we were not to try to advertise this as a cool platform to
> use for everyone. ie: "we use it, please, do not use it.".

This partly matches with my recollection. Initially, Bonobo was
targetted for the GNOME 2.0 platform. The main reason there is going
to be a 1.x platform release of it at all is for applications like
Nautilus and Evolution that critically depend on Bonobo and want to
release on the 1.x platform.

> As as side note, I find myself badly personally fucked up by the current
> bonobo release schedule since it seems that bonobo 1.0 will be advertised
> as a stable platform.
> My editor might be kind of pissed off to learn that while we have been
> targetting gnome 2.0, there is going to be another stable platform
> we could have tried to target.

Actually, I have to say this is not the maintainers' problem. It's
been known for some time that Bonobo would join the development
platform for GNOME 1.4.

 - Maciej