Re: The nature of the Bonobo freeze.

> I admit to some trepidation, since it's a longer set of changes than
> the last one that was promised (only the studlyCaps change) but if you
> promise publicly that this is the final list, I think that would make
> the Nautilus team happy.

The freeze we had agreed on was an API freeze, not a bug fix freeze,
nor an improvement freeze.  That was the extent of the promise we made
because Eazel insisted on a promise.

My list includes only bug fixes, and the only API breakage from the
Nautilus perspective is the few lines that need to be removed from
your code (streams).

Then again, as I said, software releases slip as I said before, so I
am not sure that promising anything in the context of software release
schedules makes any sense.

It strikes me as odd to have to `promise' something in the context of
software releases.  If the software is not ready, I can not release
the code.  I do not want to see Bonobo 1.0 be another GNOME 1.0, I
learned from the past mistakes.

Now, as I said before, I told Andy on the phone that we would change
the Stream interface, we just did not have the time to put Dietmar's
changes in on schedule.  Too bad, because they were really important.

It is not like I have `deceived and betrayed' anyone here.  I am just
doing my job.

> In addition, I'd like to ask you and Michael to create either a stable
> branch or devel branch (doesn't matter which) so that development
> changes other than this have some place to go in. I have a number of
> API breaking cleanup type patches that I have not sent in out of
> respect for the freeze, and I bet other people do too.

I do not know why you insist on this branch.  Until the software is
ready to be branched, it will not be branched.

What are those API breaking cleanups that you have, I would like to
see them.

Miguel.