Re: Object Reference counting idea.

On Tue, 10 Oct 2000, Michael Meeks wrote:

>         We partition refs and unrefs into 2 sorts; local and
> remote.

>         So; the advantage of this is that remote scripts have no chance of
> crashing the system by unreasonable ref / unrefs ( unless they try and
> wrap the ref-count :-).

This (if you unref more times than you ref, things crash) isn't a problem
that needs to be solved, assuming your object impl deactivates the servant
on the unref that takes the refcount to zero.

The main problem is that a client can crash while holding a refcount, and
there is no way to know whether or not somebody is 'making use of' an
objref.

-- Elliot
DEAR IRS, Please cancel my subscription.