BonoboView sizing problems

Hi Michael,

just discovered a little problem with the way we handle
size negotiation for BonoboViews.

When we get the CreateNotify event In bonobo_socket_filter_func(),
this queues a resize on the BonoboSocket. This works just fine, but
there isn't any way for a container application to connect to this
signal and before we get the CreateNotify event, we don't know the
size of the Control.

After creating the BonoboViewFrame and connecting it to its BonoboView
In my container application I want to ask the View for its desired size
(since I want to use it as the default size for the ViewFrame).

But there is no way to do this - the BonoboSocket will get its size at
some point when gtk_container_idle_sizer() is run next time and there's
no way to get a callback.

However, there is a simple way to fix this without breaking any existing
API - all we need to do is to implement BonoboControl::getDesiredSize()
which currently does nothing.

I'll make a patch and send it to you this evening .....

--
Martin Baulig
martin gnome org (private)