Re: bonobo-stream-vfs.c

Hi Joe,

On Wed, 29 Nov 2000, Joe Shaw wrote:
> So, I've been going through the bonobo-stream-vfs.c files in both
> bonobo and nautilus, trying to discern differences. They are almost
> exactly the same, with these few exceptions:

	Dude, I did the merge today already.

> So, there are basically zero functional differences between the
> versions, except that the bonobo one seems to be a little better at
> throwing exceptions, but even then it doesn't do a very good job of
> checking what the actual error is (just that there is one) and just
> throws an exception that it thinks is right. Maybe right now we don't
> give different error messages for an IO Error as opposed to a
> permission denied, but they are rather significantly different errors
> and should be distinguished at some point, so it's important that the
> right one be thrown.

	Some of these have been fixed.

> I'm a little confused about the do-while in vfs_read and vfs_write,
> but that may be due to my ignorance about gnome-vfs. If result ==
> GNOME_VFS_ERROR_INTERRUPTED, does that mean that none of the data was
> read from/written to the handle? And, should we keep retrying the
> read/write until it gets something other than an interrupted result?

	AFAICS this is equivilant to EINTR with normal C unix semantics,
and it signals an interrupted read/write. I think I'm doing the right
thing for this case. We want a fully blocking read IMHO, the semantics are
easier to understand for people.