Re: Namespacing issues ...

Hi,

On 18 Nov 2000, Maciej Stachowiak wrote:
> They face the exact same problem for multiple executables. Usually the
> problem is solved by renaming one or the other, or installing in
> different prefixes. Maybe we will want to reconsider this for GNOME 2,
> but I really don't want to revise things for GNOME 1.4, given the
> impending release date.

	The thing is that we have a chance to actualy fix this; as long as
ISV's can find a place in the system that they think they can install
their binaries safely ( without fear of conflict ) I don't care where they
put them.

	They can call them all 'ls' and put them in /opt/ms/softimage/ for
all I care.

	What I do care about is that the poor ISV needs to install his
oafinfo file ( with his custom path to his binary coded into it ) in a
standard place, without fiddling with any tedious environment variables [
which is a non-solution ].

	So; the ISV installs his 'ls' binary [ a new Nautilus component
using zvt + ls ] in /opt/ms/abc/ls, he then installs his oafinfo file in a
standard; well namespaces location:

	/usr/share/oaf/com/sillycompany/ls.oafinfo

	And bang; everything just works, no daemon restarting, no pain, no
effort, _no_ possibility of conflict, no massive '-' delimited filenames.

	This is what I would like to see.