Re: Namespacing issues ...

Hi Martin,

On 18 Nov 2000, Martin Baulig wrote:
> Maciej Stachowiak <mjs eazel com> writes:
> > What's the value of namespacing OAFIIDs? The UUID portion at the end
> > already guarantees uniqueness.
>
> But there may still be a value of namespacing them even if it's not
> technically necessary - it's just easier for the developer to remember
> a "namespaced" OAFIID than to remember the UUID portion of it.

        Precicely; we are not interested in garenteeing uniqueness, this
can be done by application authors using their own namespace. What we are
trying to avoid is pain for developers with these numbers.

        It seems even Microsoft realized that it was a mistake trying to
get developers to enjoy activating on some massive magic number, so they
added a gruesome, hacked, non-namespaced alternative [ that I forget the
API for now ], basicly a global register of 'short name' -> 'massive
number'.

        I would badly like to avoid this problem ever happening. Lets get
it right now.