Re: bug, speed problem in Bonobo relating to commands

Hi Darin,

On Mon, 13 Nov 2000, Darin Adler wrote:
> Working on popups more, I discovered that I need to mark the commands
> dirty, as well as the widgets. (Dirt is propagated from commands to
> widgets, but not the other direction, so the dirtying in add_popup has
> to do the commands.)

        They dirty bit signifies something has changed. Why do you want to
emulate a non-existant change ? There should be no need to dirty the
commands at all, unless you change them. If they are change then any view
using them needs to be dirtied. This is why we do things as they are
done. If the view changes; then there is no need to dirty the model, since
we only need to update that single view.

> Once I did that I discovered a pre-existing speed problem. Updating
> the commands takes more than a second, close to 2 seconds, on my very
> fast machine. The problem is that walking the whole tree looking for a
> particular command ID is a very slow operation, and this is exactly
> what update_cmd_state does.

        Please show me what code you are writing, what bug you are trying
to fix and how you are trying to fix it. How do you mark the commands
dirty ?

> Your thoughts? Do you want me to fix this? Do you want to fix it?

        I would like to understand the problem that you are trying to
address, can you describe it ? I am extremely willing to believe there is
a bug in the popup code of some sort; but not that the core code needs
re-engineering drasticaly.

        Please point me at the bug, and I will have a look.