Re: ui thoughts

Hi Dan,

On Wed, 8 Nov 2000, Dan Winship wrote:
> Is there a difference between a verb and an id?

        Yes; a verb is just that a verb :-) an id identifies a stateful
signal, eg. that on a toggle button.

> My objection is that the naming seems to be mismatched. You say:
>
>       <menuitem name="Foo" verb="Bar">
>       <cmd name="Bar" ...>
>
> where a menuitem's "verb" references a cmd's "name". I think it would
> be more consistent to have either <verb name="Bar" ...> or <cmd
> verb="Bar" ...>

        Ahh. Well that is easy enough to do; as I say, we are not
validating the 'cmd' so if you wish to encourage people to switch to:

        <verb name="Bar"/>

        This can be done easily; It is simply a matter of updating the
documentation, and all the UI files in existance, it sounds reasonable to
me; of course, you will need to weed out the few 'id' based things and use

        <id name="Foo"/>

        If you want to do it I have no objections; go for it, shouldn't be
too tough. The latter suggestion of

        <cmd verb="Baa"/>

        Just badly confuses the issue of path resolution, which I want to
avoid at all costs.

> I think the average person reading a ui file without studying the
> docs first is going to think:

        I am hoping the automated GUI designer will be around soon, no
one should be subjected to having to type all that stuff in by hand.

> Right, and this was all just supposed to be suggestions on things
> that seemed like particular imperfections to me after having used it
> a bit.

	Ok; if particularly annoys you, then logging it in the bug
tracker against 'wishlist' would be nice :-)

	Thanks,