Re: it's scary

Michael Meeks <michael@helixcode.com> el día Mon, 29 May 2000 12:21:04 -0400
(EDT), escribió:

Hi Michael,

>	I am happy to ask what a moniker is, since I have only a vague
>understanding that it is a way to tie activation,component and data
>location information into a virtual component  link. the concept is
>elegant and simple. Exactly what is meant by a moniker is worth
>understanding however, along with how it will be implemented which is I
>suspect what was being asked.

hmmm, maybe I was confused... I read the thread more or less like:

maciej: I'm so happy with gnome-vfs that I may want to integrate libole2...
miguel: no, you don't, what you really need is monikers.
maciej: !? I'm happy with gnome-vfs ...
miguel: no, you don't.
maciej: yes, I'am.
miguel: no, you don't. what happens is that you don't know that what
        you really want is a moniker ...
maciej: haaa !?

but I think you are rigth, discussing this things is necessary...
it just happens is that when I heard that a new concept(*) is
introduced, i feel something close to panic ...

(*) what I meant for concept is not a new library, but a new way
to program, everybody know how to use a shared lib, but not everybody
know how to program with concepts like orbit/gnorba(now oaf)/bonobo
et all ...

but I agree that when a new concept is _way_ better than the current one,
it may be worth exploring...

[...]
>	Well, what the hell is XML, I don't see how it can be used as
>middleware.

well, I'll bet that XML is more widely know than bonobo or COM for what
matters ...
(please, I'm not saying that gnome should drop bonobo or anything similar)

about using it as middleware, see:
http://www.oasis-open.org/cover/tigueWebBroker.html
http://www.wddx.org/XMLpresentation/tsld009.htm
http://www.sunworld.com/swol-06-1999/swol-06-itarchitect.html
(the part that say "XML middleware: A WIDL example")

but you may want to replace orbit with apache  :)

again, I'm not saying that gnome should change the route, i'm just
telling you that xml can be used as middleware, just that...

>	I didn't find this criticism overly constructive, perhaps if you
>are finding some part hard to understand you could ask a more focused
>question.

yup, my mistake, sorry, I just complained that gnome is going for a
complex route, but I agree that the problem space is really huge.

sergio