Re: Size negotiation...

Michael,

> 	Well, it doesn't worry me whatsoever at all. If you want to
> re-write, re-test etc. code that already works well fine. I would remind
> you that you will have to write a BonoboPlug / BonoboSocket that inherit
> from their gtk counterparts to make sure we don't have 2 competing size
> negotiation mechanisms, since this caused lots, and lots of grief in the

ok, that is the reason...
You should have told me this sooner :)
I understand now that getting it right is not as simple as I expected
it to be.

> past. But I agree, it would be nice to kill the Gtk/X dependency, it is
> just a matter of man hours and serious testing.
>
> > > have to re-write the GUI transport layer, which happens to also propagate
> > > sizing information. I see no problem  here whatsoever apart from a couple
> >
> > The problem here is that the Windowing layer does not propagate the size
> > information and that GTK size-negociation mechanism is NOT universal which
> > means that if we have such a method which depends completely on GTK, we
> > lose a great deal of the interest of the IDLs since implementing them is not
> > enough to get a conformant implementation.
>
> 	It will never be enough; you need X too.

no, that is the point of my arguments, but I did not made myself clear
I think. Currently, the implementation relies on GTK and X.
However, the IDL does not rely on anything related to X or GTK
except in te size-negociation area if the corresponding methods are
not implemented. ie: not enforcing the size-negociation in the IDL
makes the IDL dependant on the underlying toolkit.

But you already know all this. I think we agree now :)

> 	Well, I see your point. Do feel free to write the code, but do not
> commit it, post it here and we'll chew it over. It is just a large amount
> of work for no percievable gain to fix a drop-off in a transport that
> someone is going to have to re-implement elsewhere anyway if they want to
> use another toolkit.

I would enjoy to write this code but I must say that it is impossible for
me now. I am striving to get rid of uni now... (perhaps eazel will allow
me to work on this this summer but I doubt it which means you will have
to wait for me to get some free time this summer)

warm regards,
Mathieu

--
Mathieu Lacage, mathieu@gnome.org