Size negotiation...

Hi Mathieu,

On 29 May 2000, Mathieu Lacage wrote:
> BTW: Now that I am at this, I have to ask, once more why we do not
> implement size-negociation in bonobo through the interfaces but
> through GTK. If no one explains me this, I will commit a patch which
> corrects this BUG. Which is a BUG. dot. It is EVIL to have the methods
> and not implement them, leaving other implementors with nothing but
> using GTK.
>       -- This was a subliminal message to whoever removed
>       -- this implementation.

	Well this was a decision that was taken by Nat, and that I
reccommended and wholeheartedly approve of. I agree we should prune the
methods if they are not implemented, but I find it hard to believe that
people are using raw CORBA to manipulate the sizes of embedded objects.

	Bonobo's control interface relies on a secondary transport
mechanism which is in this case Gtk/X, in the abscence of Gtk/X you will
have to re-write the GUI transport layer, which happens to also propagate
sizing information. I see no problem  here whatsoever apart from a couple
of unimplemented stubs.

	If you really want to deal with the size negotiation issue, I
think you would be better served to create an interface that allows a
scrolled viewport to specify its size to an embedded control without
specifying the virtual size that it contains, this is IMHO a far more
pressing issue.