Re: Proposal: Ref Counting Conventions (CLOSED)

I like the new conventions. But I wonder if everyone is serious about them.
I did a quick browse of some sources. Here are some calls that don't copy or
ref the object they return. Changing some of these might be controversial
and would definitely affect a lot of code (at least in Nautilus).

    bonobo_object_from_servant
    bonobo_object_get_servant
    bonobo_object_activate_servant
    bonobo_object_corba_objref

    bonobo_embeddable_construct_full
    bonobo_embeddable_construct
    bonobo_embeddable_get_verbs
    bonobo_embeddable_get_uri

    bonobo_control_construct
    bonobo_control_get_widget
    bonobo_control_get_menus
    bonobo_control_get_toolbars
    bonobo_control_get_ui_handler
    bonobo_control_get_property_bag

    bonobo_view_get_embeddable
    bonobo_view_get_view_frame

So is there consensus that all of these would change to ref their results or
return a copy? The construct calls in particular are a bit strange. Perhaps
they should be changed to return void instead of changing them to do a ref.

And are we serious about doing a ref when returning a widget? That's not how
things are done in Gtk.

    -- Darin