Re: Libole2.

"Dirk-Jan C. Binnema (djcb)" <bulkmail@dds.nl> writes:

> Needless to say that Nautilus really requires some intimate
> knowledge of the stuff it's opening, exactly the stuff monikers are
> supposed to hide...  So, I wonder if at all a fm should use
> monikers...

The thing is that Nautilus wants to take the shell away from a
strictly file-oriented concept of data. So if most of the system uses
monikers and Nautilus uses URIs via gnome-vfs, Nautilus can't express
the relationships between objects that the whole rest of the system
sees. Note also that I gave four examples of where I think having the
raw data (or at least being able to choose the object handling it) was
useful, and only one of them was the file manager.

I think we should be careful to design the whole system so we can
present data in all the ways users want. I would be especially wary of
having two abstractions that serve a very similar purpose but have
different sets of capabilities.

I think it is worthwhile thinking about a design that can solve both
sets of problems.

 - Maciej