Re: import/export interface for Bonobo

Michael Meeks wrote:

> Hi Dan,
>
> On Mon, 15 May 2000, Dan Winship wrote:
> > Right now in Evolution, the mail component and the html editor
> > component speak to each other via PersistStream. However, this is
> > inadequate, because sometimes the mail component wants to get
> > text/html out of the editor, and sometimes it wants text/plain (and
> > sometimes it wants both).
>

>         I wished to put this in the Persist interface so  that every IO
> operation had the option of being typed, but I'm now lesss convinced about
> this. Miguel too doesn't like it since it is not what MS use.
>
>         So; I would like to know how COM tackles this problem before we
> commit to an interface, since we need to maintain a high level of
> compatibility. If someone has time to hunt the msdn library it would be
> great to have a link.

Maybe the MS interface for such stuff is IDataObject, it supports typing
(propritary).
Communication can be done as files, storages, global memory etc.

BTW: i think just copying MS stuff isn't very good. We should try to
learn from their mistakes.
http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/periodic/period98/com0798.htm is a
nice resumee of the past COM years.

>         The get_types function would be at liberty to alter the ordering
> of its preferred types depending on what data it contained [ eg. a picture
> component might prefer jpeg to png in various circumstances ].

Ordering of preferred types is supported too.