Re: Bonobo control properties question

Hi Vivien,

On Tue, 9 May 2000, Vivien Malerba wrote:
> I'm working on gnome-db to use bonobo controls.

	Excellent,

> and I have a problem with properties. The property bag of each control
> is initialized with get_control_props() and set_control_props()
> functions (that contain no code). Each property is then declared using
> bonobo_property_bag_add_full(...,set_prop, get_prop, widget); The
> problem is that the set_prop() and get_prop() do receive NULL as data
> argument, and not widget, so they can't know which control
> query/modify. Do you have any idea of where it comes from? or am I
> using the properties in the wrong way?

	I don't quite understand the question. I am extremely suprised
that you get a NULL user_data argument if that is what yoyu are
suggesting. I have just read the codepath again and I can't see off hand
how that could happen, furthermore every property_bag_add goes through
that code and it seems to work for me; could you commit and try and let me
trace the problem ?

> BTW, is there a possibility that the controls emit signals (that are defined
> at the creation of the control like for the properties) to the embedding
> application?

	Currently, no. If you want signals you need to start writing CORBA
idl which sucks. I started to implement a signal mechanism, but we need to
provide an analogue of the IDispatch functionality available in [D]COM.
This would solve the signaling problem, the tough bit is deciding how much
of the coding is already done in the orb. I am coming to the conclusion
that we need to write the bulk of it ourselves however, so it is just a
matter of finding a spare week in which to sit down and type a lot....
perhaps you have such a week ?

	Exciting stuff having a set of database controls... good work.