Re: Nautilus toolbars and Bonobo

John Sullivan <sullivan@eazel.com> writes:

[ Description of problems with Bonobizing Nautilus's Toolbars ]
> Nat believes that the GtkToolbar that Bonobo uses has many serious flaws
> that require its replacement, and that it isn't worth trying to find
> workaround for these types of problems since everything will change when the
> toolbar code is replaced.
>
> I see four avenues from here for the Nautilus toolbar and Bonobo:

Well, there is another trick too.  Construct a GtkToolbar and embed
the entire thing as a control in the Bonobo toolbar.  That way, the
individual items in this subtoolbar cannot be overridden by
components, but the main toolbar will at least be Bonobo-controlled.

But honestly, components cannot reliably use Bonobo toolbars until we
have a new GtkToolbar.  So I see there being basically two options:
fix GtkToolbar, or forget about Bonobo toolbars.

Of course, I'm not really sure why a component should be able to
override the 'back' item on the main toolbar in the first place.  This
doesn't sound like a great idea to me, but I don't know the grand
designs for Nautilus.

But if that's something you guys want, then you need to use Bonobo
toolbars, which means someone needs to fix GtkToolbar.

Nat