Re: Parsing idl ...

Hi Christian,

On Tue, 27 Jun 2000, Christian Borup wrote:
> Michael Meeks wrote:
> > I forgot to say; the method used in Owen's perl ORBit bindings is
> > particularly evil; since libIDL forks a preprocssor (gpp) to chew the idl
> > beforehand, thus making it rather unsuitable for use on a non-development
> > machine.
>
> It shouldn't be messing with the idl in the first place and only does so
> because an IR is not always available. I think there is some problems with
> the ORBit IR, which is what it should be using.

	There may well be problems with the IR, but Owen assures me IIRC
that parsing the idl is a rather quicker method than using the IR ( and
this would seem to be obvious over a network connection ) and that ORBit
perl is sticking with it. Either way, I tend to think the flexibility of
the IR approach is far greater.