Re: libefs/gnome-vfs/bonobo

Michael Meeks <michael@helixcode.com> writes:

> Hi Mathieu,
>
> On 26 Jul 2000, Mathieu Lacage wrote:
> > Would it be possible to move gnome-vfs's efs method
> > from gnome-vfs to bonobo ?
>
>         There is currently an efs storage / stream method in bonobo and
> also one in gnome-vfs. I had assumed that it was technicaly best to do
> file system stuff in the vfs; you seem to suggest you disagree.

A gnome-vfs protocol handler module does not need to be in the
gnome-vfs CVS mdoule - the wonder of plugins.

> > Basically, gnome-vfs depends on bonobo because it uses libefs
>
>         Incorrect, gnome-vfs has an optional dependency on libefs, this is
> a separate CVS module that is virtually linked into bonobo. There should
> be no problem with this ever, but if there is simply checkout libefs and
> install it before gnome-vfs. Do you have a real dependency problem that
> stops you from building ?

Will Bonobo use the installed libefs or compile a second copy? This
seems suboptimal. Maybe if a module is used by more than one package
we shouldn't do the virtual module thing.

> > and bonobo depends on gnome-vfs for something ( I don't remember why
> > but it has something to do with storages.
>
>         Bonobo has an optional dependency on gnome-vfs which I had hoped
> to move to entirely to do our direct storage code, the problem is that
> gnome-vfs' API doesn't support transactions which is rather an important
> part of what we want from a storage, furthermore depending on gnome-vfs
> causes problems with trying to release bonobo. So I have just disabled
> the bonobo vfs storage modules, so there is now no dependency on
> gnome-vfs in bonobo.

Since the Unix filesystem does not support transactions either, does
that mean the efs storage module is now the only one?

 - Maciej